NC AirTAP Technical Resources
Economic Impact of NC Airports
- 2016 Economic Impact of Airports in North Carolina. Produced by ITRE for the NCDOT Division of Aviation, this report illustrates how NC airports play a vital role in our state transportation system, linking North Carolina to the global economy and generating significant economic activity, commerce, and tourism.
- Economic Contribution of North Carolina Airports. Compiled from the 2016 study data, this document provides a one-page report for each of North Carolina’s 72 publicly–owned airports summarizing the airport’s direct, indirect and induced economic benefits. The document is alphabetized by airport code.
- “The Economic Impact of North Carolina’s Airports”. This 6-minute video highlights the economic benefits of North Carolina’s publicly-owned airports.
Airport Marketing Toolkit
There is lasting and far reaching value in telling your airport’s story frequently and with strategic purpose. These best practice communication and marketing strategies can help airports of any size, even those with small or non-existent marketing budgets.
- Telling Your Airport Story: Checklist – Getting Started. This basic communication plan is a good foundation for any airport to begin proactively telling its story. There are many opportunities to share information – this list will get you started, at a low-cost initial investment.
- Telling Your Airport Story: How to Create a One-Page Fact Sheet.You have honed the key story you would like to share about your airport. Now it’s time to create a one-page fact sheet to be used in a multitude of ways.
- Telling Your Airport Story: Website Guidance. For many people, the first step to making travel arrangements is searching for transportation options online. For this reason, a website is a great way to attract new clients to the airport by showcasing services, amenities, and highlights in one convenient site.
- Telling Your Airport Story: How to Get Started with Social Media.
- Telling Your Airport Story: How to Set Up a Facebook Page.
- Telling Your Airport Story: How to Set Up a Twitter Page.
- Telling Your Airport Story: Example Press Release.
- Telling Your Airport Story: Airport Presentation Template.
- Telling Your Airport Story: Press Release Template.
- ACRP Report 28: Marketing Guidebook for Small Airports. This report from TRB’s Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP) explores development of a marketing program for general aviation or commercial service airports on a small or minimal budget.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- The ITRE Aviation Team is a nationally recognized leader in UAS integration into the National Airspace System, with over 800 UAS flights and 200 hours of flight time to date. The team works with the NCDOT Division of Aviation, the FAA, and industry partners to make UAS operations routine, safe, and accepted activities. Contact ITRE for UAS consultation, research and flight services, and training offerings.
- Operating Unmanned Aircraft Systems in North Carolina. Visit the NCDOT Division of Aviation website to find information and guidelines for piloting Commercial, Government, and Recreational drones across the state. Link from this site to helpful documents, FAQs, permit requirements, and other resources for safe, responsible UAS operation.
- ACRP Report 144: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) at Airports: A Primer. This report from TRB’s Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP) provides airports of all sizes with information about UAS and their potential use and impact on airports. The report includes a glossary of key terms, a background on the current state of UAS operations, their costs and benefits to airports, regulatory and community considerations, infrastructure and operational considerations, safety and security issues, and more.
- FAA Safety Briefing for May/June 2017. This issue of FAA Safety Briefing focuses on UAS with feature articles answering the Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How of UAS operations, including the regulatory and technical challenges they present.
Airport Pavement Management Program
This NCDOT Division of Aviation web application provides a central location to store and display pavement-related data and inspection results for publicly owned airports in the state. State agencies, municipalities, authorities, and airport managers can use this application in prioritizing pavement projects and decision-making about construction, maintenance and funding.
TRB Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP)
Follow the links below and visit trb.org/ACRP for more details on these resources from ACRP.
- ACRP Report 156: Guidebook for Managing Compliance with Federal Regulations: An Integrated Approach. This research report provides guidance on managing compliance with federal regulations pertaining to the operation and management of airports. Accompanying the guidebook is the Regulation Compliance Management (RCM) Tool.
- ACRP Synthesis 69: Airport Sustainability Practices—Drivers and Outcomes for Small Commercial and General Aviation Airports. This synthesis report explores drivers and outcomes of green initiatives undertaken at small commercial and general aviation airports. Drivers could include financial viability, staffing considerations, or other social or environmental factors.
- ACRP Report 16: Guidebook for Managing Small Airports. This guidebook helps small airport operators, managers and policy makers find resources and identify techniques that they may apply to meet their responsibilities.