NC AirTAP Education and Training
Airport Minimum Standards
Fueling Operations Workshop
Request for Aid Application
Safety and Maintenance Workshop
Airport Layout Plan
Independent Fee Estimates
Qualifications Based Selection
Managing Wildlife Hazards
Aviation Career Training
Airport Minimum Standards
NC AirTAP and the NC Division of Aviation hosted a general session of the 2018 NC Airports Association conference previewing the Airport Management & Leadership training curriculum to be launched in Summer 2018. The training is being developed for seasoned, new, and future airport managers. The session included an introductory presentation on Airport Minimum Standards by attorney Keith Merritt of Hamilton Stephens Steele + Martin, PLLC.
- Download PDF file of the Airport Management & Leadership preview slides.
- Download PDF file of the Airport Minimum Standards presentation slides.
- FAA Advisory Circular AC 150/5190-7 Minimum Standards for Commercial Aeronautical Activities is a useful guide to help establish or improve your airport’s Minimum Standards for aeronautical service businesses seeking to operate at your facility. Use this link to download the PDF file of AC 150/5190-7.
- ACRP Legal Research Digest 11: Survey of Minimum Standards: Commercial Aeronautical Activities at Airports explores adopting and enforcing minimum standards for businesses performing commercial aeronautical activities at airports including aircraft fueling, line (ground handing) services, maintenance and repair, storage, rental and flight training/instruction, sales, and charter and management. This report also explores current practices in the area of minimum standards and includes a compendium of comparative minimum standards.
Airport Fueling Operations and Maintenance Workshop
NC AirTAP is offering this free half-day workshop for NC airport managers, operations and maintenance staff, and consultants. Upcoming workshop dates and locations are listed below. Topics and demonstrations cover fueling facts, safety, equipment inspection, and best practices. Presenters include Jimmy Capps with NCDOT Division of Aviation, and Josh Pusser with Eastern Aviation Fuels, Inc. Lunch is provided, and advance registration is required.
- Wednesday, May 16, 2018. 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Harnett Regional Jetport (HRJ), 615 Airport Road, Erwin, NC. Registration is now closed for this workshop. For more information, contact Tom Zajkowski, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparing and Submitting a Request for Aid Application
Two instructional videos on the NC AirTAP YouTube Channel introduce Airport Sponsors and Consultants to the Request for Aid (RFA) application form with a newly added cash flow section. The videos provide step-by-step instruction for preparing and submitting the application to the NCDOT Division of Aviation.
- Preparing a Request for Aid Application (12 minutes)
- Submitting a Request for Aid Application (6 minutes)
Drone Workshop for Commercial and Government Operators
NCDOT Division of Aviation hosts a free 1-day workshop around the state to show how beneficial and safe drone technology can be. The workshop focuses on commercial and government drone operations and data management.
Visit the UAS Program web page at www.ncdot.gov/aviation/uas to find upcoming workshop dates/locations and to learn more from the Division of Aviation about operating Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in North Carolina.
Airport Safety and Maintenance Workshop
NC AirTAP offers a free 1-day workshop for NC airport managers, operations and maintenance staff, and consultants. Presenters include staff from the NCDOT Division of Aviation, Raleigh-Durham (RDU) and Charlotte Douglas (CLT) airports. Participants receive a certificate, and NC Professional Engineers are awarded four professional development hours (4 PDH) for completing the workshop.
Workshop topics and links to download presentation materials from the most recent workshop held at Shelby–Cleveland County Regional Airport are listed below:
- Airport Safety Self-Inspection: an overview of how to perform these inspections for key operational areas at your airport facility.
- Airfield Pavement Inspection and Maintenance: introduces common airfield pavement issues and remedies.
- Lighting Maintenance and Repairs: discusses important Safety Tips, working with Series Circuits and Constant Current Regulators, basic Troubleshooting Techniques, and a hands-on demonstration of Airfield Cable Splicing.
- Inclement Weather Preparedness: illustrates the planning, types of equipment and resources, and facility areas that airport managers need to address before a storm arrives. This topic is tailored to the inclement weather most common to airports in the geographic region of the workshop.
- FAA and ACRP Additional Reference Documents
Upcoming workshop locations and dates are to be announced. For more information about the workshop, contact Tom Zajkowski, 919-515-8523, email@example.com.
Creating a Clear Vision with Your Airport Layout Plan
NC AirTAP and the NC Division of Aviation hosted a general session of the 2017 NC Airports Association conference addressing the value and components of a well-written Airport Layout Plan (ALP). Division staff shared new guidance including forms to help airport sponsors through the ALP process. The session also featured an expert panel from the public and private sector discussing their experiences with the benefits of thoughtful airport planning through ALP development.
- Download PDF file of the ALP presentation slides.
Understanding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
NC AirTAP staff presented on “Understanding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for Airport Operators” at the NC Airports Association regional meetings in September-October 2016. This presentation provided an overview on current regulations and resources to guide airport operators on state safely integrating UAS within their airspace.
Independent Fee Estimates and Analysis
NCDOT Division of Aviation staff presented an “Overview of Independent Fee Estimates and Analysis” at the NC Airports Association regional meetings in June 2016. This presentation was a follow-up to the QBS session at the 2016 NCAA conference (see QBS session details below).
- Download PDF file of the IFE presentation slides
Using Qualifications Based Selection (QBS)
NC AirTAP conducted a session on “Procurement of Professional Services for Airport Planning and Design using Qualifications Based Selection (QBS)” at the 2016 NC Airports Association conference. The session included presentation by NCDOT Division of Aviation staff and discussion with panelists representing airport directors, the FAA, and the airport consulting industry.
- Download PDF file of the QBS presentation slides
Managing Wildlife Hazards at Airports
The NCDOT Division of Aviation offers free training classes across the state to help airport staff manage birds and other wildlife that can pose serious threats to airport safety. Classes are taught by FAA-qualified wildlife biologists from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and run approximately 8 hours. This training meets the requirements of 14 CFR Part 139.303, and shares valuable information and tools appropriate for any size or type of airport. Topics addressed include basic wildlife identification, wildlife attractants and habitat management, and safety issues with equipment and procedures. Open to all North Carolina airport personnel and anyone interested in managing wildlife hazards on or near airports.
See below for upcoming training dates and locations. Follow this link for more details and pre-registration information.
- April 18, 2018 at Albert J. Ellis Airport (KOAJ)
- May 16, 2018 at Johnston Regional Airport (KJNX)
- June 13, 2018 at Asheville Regional Airport (KAVL)
- August 15, 2018 at Kinston Regional Jetport (KISO)
- October 10, 2018 at Piedmont Triad International (KGSO)
Aviation Career Training and Certification
Guilford Technical Community College offers several degree and certificate programs for persons seeking to launch or advance their aviation career. Programs include Aerostructures Manufacturing and Repair, Avionics Technology, Aviation Management, Aviation Systems Technology, Structure Manufacturing, and Career Pilot Flight Training. Visit the GTCC website for more details and program registration.
TRB Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP) Webinars
ACRP regularly hosts free webinars for airport practitioners to learn about the latest results and benefits of ACRP research research products. Webinars are moderated by industry experts and presented by research project Principal Investigators. Upcoming webinar topics and dates are listed below. Follow these links to register for an upcoming webinar and view past recordings. Visit trb.org/ACRP for more offerings from ACRP.
- Preventative Maintenance at General Aviation Airports, May 17, 2018, 2:00 PM ET
- Resources for Understanding Airport Air Quality Management and Public Health, June 12, 2018, 2:00 PM ET