NC AirTAP Education and Training
Airport Safety and Maintenance Workshop
NC AirTAP is offering a 1-day workshop on two dates this November addressing conducting an Airport Safety Self-Inspection, basic Lighting Maintenance and Repairs, routine Pavement Management, and preparing for Winter and Inclement Weather. NC airport operations and maintenance staff, administrators and consultants are invited to participate. The workshop runs 9 AM – 4 PM and will be held at these host airports:
- Friday, Nov 4, 2016 at Hickory Regional Airport. View the preliminary agenda.
- Wednesday, Nov 9, 2016 at Rocky Mount-Wilson Regional Airport. View the preliminary agenda.
Presenters will include staff from the NCDOT Division of Aviation, Raleigh-Durham International Airport, Asheville Regional Airport, and Wilmington International Airport. Four (4) professional development hours (PDH) will be awarded for NC Professional Engineers attending the workshop. All participants will receive a certificate of attendance.
Online registration is now closed for both workshops. For more info, contact Darshan Divakaran, 919-987-4333, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Understanding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
NC AirTAP staff presented on “Understanding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for Airport Operators” at the NC Airports Association’s regional meetings in September-October 2016. This presentation provided an overview on current regulations and resources to guide airport operators on state safely integrating UAS within their airspace. Click here to download a PDF of the presentation slides and a PDF handout of helpful links referenced in the presentation.
Preparing Independent Fee Estimates
Stephanie Sudano, PE, of the NCDOT Division of Aviation, presented on “Preparing Independent Fee Estimates for Professional Services” at the NC Airports Association’s regional meetings in June 2016. This presentation was a follow-up to the QBS session at the 2016 NCAA conference (see session details below). Click here to download a PDF of the presentation slides.
Using Qualifications Based Selection (QBS)
NC AirTAP conducted a session on “Procurement of Professional Services for Airport Planning and Design using Qualifications Based Selection (QBS)” at the 2016 NC Airports Association conference. The session included presentation by NCDOT Division of Aviation staff and discussion with panelists representing airport directors, the FAA, and the airport consulting industry. Click here to download a PDF of the presentation slides.
Managing Wildlife Hazards at Airports
NCDOT Division of Aviation is offering free training sessions across the state to help airport staff manage birds and other wildlife that can pose serious threats to airport safety. Sessions are taught by FAA-trained wildlife biologists from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and cover topics such as basic wildlife identification, wildlife attractants and habitat management, and safety issues with equipment and procedures. Open to all North Carolina airport personnel and anyone interested in managing wildlife hazards on or near airports. View the session flier for additional details and see below for upcoming dates. To register, contact Jimmy Capps at 919-210-9428 or email email@example.com.
- November 2, 2016 – Pitt-Greenville Airport (PGV)
Aircraft Dispatcher Certification
Guilford Technical Community College offers an Aircraft Dispatcher continuing education course to prepare participants for the FAA examination for aircraft dispatcher certification. Visit the GTCC website for more details and registration, or contact course coordinator Adam Aboueid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRB Airport Cooperative Research Program
Follow the links below and visit trb.org/ACRP for more details on these offerings from ACRP.
- October 20, 2016 Webinar: Renewable Energy Use and Sustainability Practices at Airports. Financial and public policy benefits of using renewable energy at airports, and new case studies on sustainability practices at airports to enhance the Sustainable Aviation Guidance Alliance (SAGA) website.
- November 2, 2016 Webinar: Improving and Enhancing the Airport Customer Experience. How perceptions of airports are changing, the way that airport operators view their customers, and solutions to meet and exceed customer expectations.
- November 17, 2016 Webinar: Collecting Data for Airport Emissions Modeling. Emission models relating to ground support equipment (GSE) and general aviation (GA) aircraft, as well as understanding and improving air quality impact predictions.
- December 14, 2016 Webinar: Effective Stakeholder Relationships at Airports. Providing airport managers with an understanding of community expectations, and examining how airports can form effective stakeholder relationships to enhance functional capabilities, aviation services, and economic growth.
- More information about ACRP Webinars and links to past recordings are available at this link.