- School Attendance and Student Accounting
- DPI Office of Financial and Business Services Allotment Policy Manual – Transportation
- Services by Governmental Units G.S. 66-58 section c(9b) (The Umstead Act)
School Bus Stop Arm Laws
- 20-217. Motor vehicles to stop for properly marked and designated school buses in certain instances; evidence of identity of driver.
- 20-218 Standard qualifications for school bus drivers; speed limit for school buses and school activity buses
- 20-4.01. Definition of School Bus, Activity Bus (section 27 D3) and Public Vehicular Area (section 32)
State Tort Claims Act
- 143-291. Article 31 Tort Claims against State Departments and Agencies
- 143-300.1. Claims against county and city boards of education for accidents involving school buses or school transportation service vehicles.
- Tort Claims Coverage and Reimbursement Categories (Dec 2015) Frequently Asked Questions about Tort Claims and Mileage Reimbursement
Motor Vehicle Laws
- 20-28.3-28.9 DWI Vehicle Seizure Laws.
- 20-183.2. School Buses, Activity Buses exempt from annual DMV Inspection
- 20-137.4. Unlawful Use of a Mobile Phone
- 20-142.3. Certain vehicles (schoolbuses) must stop at railroad grade crossing.
- FEDERAL LAW – 49 CFR 392.10 Railroad grade crossings; stopping required.
Other Relevant Laws
- Minimum Vacation Leave for School Bus Drivers – North Carolina Public Schools: Benefits and Employees Policy Manual
- Law governing sale of tax-free fuel
- 14-33. Misdemeanor assaults, batteries, and affrays, simple and aggravated; punishments.(school employees)
- 14-132.2. Willfully trespassing upon, damaging, or impeding the progress of a public school bus.