Each year, the National School Bus Safety Week Committee conducts a poster contest. National judging takes place in the fall for a poster to be used the following year. The N.C. Department of Public Instruction sponsors a statewide poster contest every year, with winning entries displayed on this site. The top poster from each division will be submitted for the national poster contest.
DOWNLOAD NORTH CAROLINA POSTER CONTEST RULES HERE
WHO MAY ENTER
- All North Carolina public school students in the appropriate grades may enter.
- The contest is divided into five divisions:
- Division 1 – Grades K-2
- Division 2 – Grades 3-5
- Division 3 – Grades 6-8
- Division 4 – Special Education
- Division 5 – computer assisted drawing (CAD). (CAD entries are not eligible as the overall national winner but a Division winner will be awarded.)
- Posters must be received at The Department of Public Instruction by: May 31, 2019
||Designs should be on quality tag, poster illustration board or heavy paper. Construction paper may be used but must be mounted on quality tag poster stock. Lamination is not permitted, and will disqualify the poster.|
||12” X 18” or 11”X 17” for entire poster (including the bottom margin).|
||Design may be drawn vertically or horizontally.|
||Print, crayon, cut paper, felt pen, etc. is acceptable. Wood, plastic, glass, metal or collage material is not acceptable. Glued on pieces will eliminate the poster|
||All lettering must be legible and in freehand. It cannot contain stenciled, pre-printed, manufactured stick-on, press-on letters or tracings. Cut paper/stencils (freehand or pre-drawn stick-on stencils) are not permitted and will disqualify the poster.|
||Design may not incorporate any copyrighted characters (i.e. comic and television characters), photographs and magazine or newspaper illustrations.|
||There must be a 3”x 5” card/entry blank securely fastened to the BACK of the poster which includes the student’s name and home address, grade, age, teacher’s name, school name and school address. PLEASE PRINT LEGIBLE & CLEARLY. See end of this webpage for entry blank|
The poster theme must be original, correct in safety concept and the exclusive work of the student entering the contest in idea, design and execution. Instructors should supervise all work created. The poster theme must harmonize with the following slogan only:
Red Lights Mean STOP!
CONTESTANTS MUST ILLUSTRATE THE ABOVE SLOGAN AND THE
EXACT SLOGAN (Including – !) MUST BE INCLUDED ON THE POSTER.
- Illustrations must be positive in approach, demonstrating only proper school bus safety behaviors.
- At least part of a YELLOW BUS must be present in the poster.
- To be considered on a national level, posters should include only generic printed matter other than the official slogan “Red Lights Mean STOP!”
- It should not be “North Carolina specific.”
For instance, you may indicate a bus number on a bus illustration but do not specific county names, state designation or actual school names. This helps ensure a fair judging process at the state and national level.
- Local Education Agency (LEA) entries should be coordinated through the transportation office.
- Only 12 posters per school district will be accepted at the state office.
- Those 12 posters should consist of no more than 3 posters per category (i.e., exceptional children, grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8).
- LEAs may want to conduct a local judging depending on the number of entries
- When submitting these 12 posters, someone should ensure that the entries have followed the rules so that none are disqualified at the state level.
- Please package the posters properly. Mail tubes may be used, but please ensure that posters are not creased from rolling. Using flat packaging is best.
- CAD entries should be sized appropriately and sent in a JPG or TIFF format. They may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
All mailed entries should be sent to the following address:
NCDPI -Transportation Services
Attention: NC School Bus Poster Contest
6319 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-6319
Posters will be judged at the state level by pupil transportation staff from across the state. Posters not complying with aforementioned rules will be disqualified. All qualified posters will be judged on the following criteria:
- Relationship of the poster design to school bus safety practices.
- Originality of the poster and how the idea is expressed in the design.
- Artwork and its execution.
- Visual impact of the poster design.
- The right to modify any poster for reproduction is reserved by the National School Bus Safety Week Committee (NSBSW).
- Only those posters received or postmarked by May 31,2019 will be considered.
RECOGNITION AND PRIZES
- State winners will be recognized in writing from the Department of Public Instruction, Transportation Services.
- Winning posters will be featured at the www.ncbussafety.org website as our state winners.
- The top poster from each division will be submitted for the national poster contest.
- National prizes will be awarded for each division as follows:
1st Place and Overall Winner
|$500 Cash Prize|
1st Place Winners of remaining 3 Divisions
|$250 Cash Prize|
2nd Place Winners of each 4 Divisions
|$100 Cash Prize|
3rd Place Winners of each 4 Divisions
|$50 Cash Prize|
1st Place Winner – CAD Division
|$50 Cash Prize|
NOTE: NORTH CAROLINA HAD NATIONAL WINNERs IN 2015 AND 2016!!
The National School Bus Safety Week Committee is comprised of members of the American School Bus Council (www.americanschoolbuscouncil.org)
OWNERSHIP OF POSTERS
- Posters cannot be returned and those that are forwarded to the national contest become the property of the National School Bus Safety Week Committee.
- Visit NAPT’s National School Bus Safety Week web page HERE
Print, complete, and place on the BACK of your poster entry. Please make sure the information is printed legible and filled out properly.
NATIONAL SCHOOL BUS SAFETY POSTER CONTEST
Student Name: ___________________________________________
Student’s Home Address: __________________________________
City: __________________ State ____________ Zip ____________
Grade: _____ Age: _____________ County ________________
School Address __________________________________________
City ________________________State ___________Zip _________
Teacher’s Name __________________________________________