Started in 1992 as a cooperative venture with the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), the FEP Program offers introductory engineering education for transportation technicians. FEP courses build a deeper conceptual understanding of transportation design, inspection, and field practices. Initially offered throughout the state of North Carolina, FEP is now available nationwide through the use of live online virtual classrooms. Technician development continues with the capstone Highway Engineering Concepts (HEC) course.
About the Program: (printable flyer [230KB | PDF] )
- For technicians with little or no engineering background
- 10 courses that introduce engineering fundamentals
- Two prerequisites – Mathematics and Physics
- Bypass exams available for demonstrated proficiency
- Certificates available for 5 modules*
- Live online virtual classroom
- 7 to 13 weeks (varies by course)
- 3 hours per week (one half day)
- Weekly graded tests
- 3-hour comprehensive final exam
Cost: $400 – $700 per participant per course (varies by course length) Register Now Opens in new window
2018-2019 Scheduling Details:
- FEP courses meet in an online virtual classroom one morning per week from 8 am until 11 am.
- Students must complete (or bypass) Mathematics, then Physics, prior to registering for other courses. Fall courses must be completed (or bypassed) prior to corresponding spring courses.
- A sample pathway through the FEP Program is presented below. Please note that once prerequisites are met, courses can be completed in any order.
- Bypass exam administration dates are August 2 and February 7. Final exams are administered upon completion of individual courses: October 4; December 11; April 3; and June 11.
- Instructor will email detailed schedule, printable textbook, and online access information prior to class start.
|Sample Pathway||FEP Course||Meeting Day||Start Date|
|*Certificate Available for Module Completion|
|Year 2, 3, or 4||Statics|
Strength of Materials
|Year 2, 3, or 4||Fluid Mechanics|
|Year 2, 3, or 4||Horizontal and Vertical Alignment|
“Behind the Scenes” Look at FEP Mathematics
Lori Cahill firstname.lastname@example.org | (919) 513-0207