NC NMVDP Virtual Workshop
On June 2nd, 2020, ITRE and Eco-Counter, Inc. led a virtual workshop for local agency partners currently participating in the North Carolina Non-Motorized Volume Data Program (NC NMVDP). The purpose of the workshop was to:
- Review the expectations and responsibilities for local agencies participating in the NC NMVDP,
- Show how Eco-Counters work to count bicycles and pedestrians,
- Share new resources for inspecting, troubleshooting, and maintaining Eco-Counters, and
- Walk through how to view count data and do basic data visualization and analysis in the Eco-Visio software.
The presentations were recorded and additional resources were developed to assist local agency partners with caring for their counters and making the most of the data that they collect. These resources are provided below.
- Overview of the sessions presented at the virtual workshop.
- Staff Contact Information
- Contact email and phone numbers for key ITRE and Eco-Counter staff.
- Question & Answer (Q&A) Summary
- Summary of the questions and answers from the virtual workshop.
- Presentation Videos (playlist)
- Opening Session – NC Non-Motorized Volume Data Program Overview (Sarah Searcy, ITRE Bicycle & Pedestrian Program Manager) [11m 30s]
- Introduction to Eco-Counter (Olivia White, Eco-Counter Client Consultant) [23m 26s]
- Counter Maintenance (Jonah Dorfman + Jorge Moreno, Eco-Counter Technicians) [1h 00m 45s]
- How to Analyze Your Count Data Using Eco-Visio (Olivia White, Eco-Counter Client Consultant) [39m 11s]
- Closing Session – Counter Ownership Responsibilities (Sarah Searcy, ITRE Bicycle & Pedestrian Program Manager) [16m 37s]
- Presentation Slides
- NC NMVDP Program Models – Summary Diagram
- Summarizes the Phase 1, Phase 2, and Collaborative Agency program models under the NC NMVDP. After the transfer of the counter ownership according to the signed Memorandums of Agreements (MOAs) between local agencies and NCDOT, the Phase 1 and 2 agencies transition to the Collaborative Agency model. For the useful life of the counting equipment, NCDOT will support data monitoring and management based on the processes and procedures established under the NC NMVDP. ITRE is contracted to provide the data monitoring and management support, including routine quarterly and annual data quality assurance & quality control (QA/QC), equipment validation, and data reporting. This scope includes limited support for field maintenance & troubleshooting. Agencies that have purchased and installed counters separately from the NC NMVDP can join the program under the Collaborative Agency Model by opting into the data management scope of work.
- Data Monitoring, Maintenance, and Validation for Eco-Counters in the NC NMVDP – Flow Chart
- Provides a flow chart representing data monitoring, maintenance, and validation for Eco-Counters in the NC NMVDP. This chart shows who is responsible for each task, whether the local agency, ITRE, Eco-Counter or a combination. This chart is provided as a reference so that expectations are aligned and to ensure that the counters stay in good operating order and we achieve high quality count data.
- Counter Visit Checklist (Eco-Link Android or Eco-Link PC) > email Eco-Counter to request
- Intended for reference each time a counter is visited and illustrates six steps to validate that a counter is working correctly.
- Recommended Tool List for Counter Visits and Maintenance
- Provides a recommended list of “everyday” tools to bring when visiting and maintaining counters.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (Eco-Link Android or Eco-Link PC) > email Eco-Counter to request
- Explains the basic tasks that use the Eco-Link application, reviews routine troubleshooting/maintenance procedures (adjusting sensor settings, changing the battery, reading light signals, and resetting/initializing a counter), and covers the most commonly asked FAQs related to counter troubleshooting/maintenance.
- Quick Guide – Hotspot and TeamViewer
- Provides step-by-step instructions for setting up remote assistance tools to allow collaborative troubleshooting with Eco-Counter technicians during a counter visit.
- Eco-Visio User Guide > email Eco-Counter to request
- Provides an overview of the Eco-Visio software, including counter management and analysis functions.
- Form for Documenting On-Site Counter Troubleshooting and Maintenance
- Provides a template for recording when and what maintenance was performed, the functional status of the equipment, and when quality data collection has resumed.
NC NMVDP Quarterly Newsletter
Beginning in April 2019, a virtual newsletter is sent out each quarter via email to share regular information on data reports, technical assistance support, training opportunities, and updates to program processes. Historic newsletters are archived below.